Friday, July 10, 2009

MRI results

I had an MRI of my back today and I guess I have a good reason for all my whining! (Not that anyone was accusing me of being a whiner, I just felt like I was complaining a lot!) I have a large disc herniation between L5 and S1 that is protruding posteriorly and slightly to the left and it's pressing on my nerve root. Your disc should be flush with your vertebrae, but this one is stuck out more than a cm past the vertebrae and it's more than a cm wide too.

I work with an MRI tech and she went over the images with me. When she first saw them, she used words like: "Jesus", "Oh my God Heather" and "that's really nasty". So I guess it's pretty serious!

I spoke with my doctor and she wants me to go to physio, take anti-inflammatories, ice and rest, and I'll see her in a month. I'm hoping that I can get this fixed enough so that I can stop limping and start playing soccer again. I have my doubts that I'll be playing this season though. But there may also be the possibility that I'll need surgery down the road. My mother had the same problem at my age and needed a spinal fusion. Yikes!

So I guess P90X is out of the question for a while at least. I do hope to get back into it sometime down the road, but for now I guess I'll just take it easy. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment