Friday, July 3, 2009

Taking a break

I'm very disappointed to say that my body is in need of a break for at least a couple of weeks. I went to see a physiotherapist yesterday (and I've also been seeing a chiropractor) and they have both insinuated that maybe I should rest my back for a little while. It kills me to have to stop exercising for a bit...especially that I have to take a break from soccer. But soccer is what bothers my back the most because there is a lot of pounding involved.

My instructions are to ice my back a lot, rest it as much as possible...and lie on my back as much as possible. Yikes! That's a hard one! Apparently even stretching my back and leg is doing me more harm than good. So I think my best bet is to totally stop exercising for 2 weeks and see if there are any improvements. Hopefully I won't have to take off any longer than that, but I realize it may be necessary. It just sucks that the soccer season is so short.

Also, I'm so close to being done P90X and I'm nowhere near where I wanted to be, weight-wise. I wanted to be in a bikini by this time, and although it is physically possible for me to wear one, I wouldn't be caught dead in it right now! Don't get me wrong...I have accomplished a lot since starting P90X and I have lost a lot of fat, but I'm not where I want to be yet. So fingers crossed that my little break doesn't last too long.

5 comments:

  1. If anything, you should do as your doctor(s) advise you and rest your back.

    Their advice with resting until you are 100% (or somewhere close) is for your own benefit. I mean, I got hurt when I first started P90X, but I waited long enough so that I was able to do everything properly and not get hurt again. Getting re-injured is a step back from your overall goal. Look at the big picture, once you do heal, you will be stronger than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Michael said... rest and recover your back before you move ahead with any more exercise. It's easier said then done, but in the long run it should definitely help you! Hope you start feeling better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys! I know that resting my back is the best thing to do right now. It's got to stay with me for the rest of my life and I can always exercise after I feel better again. On the bright side, not having to exercise every night or go to soccer games 2-3 times a week frees up so much time! I'm not sure what to do with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poo! Sorry to hear you're in pain again! Rest is unfortunately the only way.... Way to go with your determination and committment though! Impressive!! Can't wait to see the new you! xo your 'sis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately you won't see a really big change. No bikinis for me this summer like I had hoped! I really should have taken pictures before I took the break.

    I'm trying to decide what to do when I start back up again. It doesn't seem right that I just go back to where I left off and finish up the last two weeks. I'll have lost a lot of the muscle I've gained so far. Maybe I'll start phase 3 over again.

    ReplyDelete